Friday, March 26, 2010

Songs & Stories of the Down Under

When I flipped the channel on my TV and decided to watch the epic romance 2008 production, "Australia" to fill my time in between shows, I didn't expect for it to leave such a huge impression on me.


And truth to be told, it wasn't because of Hugh Jackman ( ̄ー ̄)though most would've reasoned that, that would be the reason I'm so touched by it. (well.... maybe a little)

The story tells about the trials and tribulation of Lady Sarah Ashley (Nicole Kidman) when she left her England home to Northern Australia to persuade her husband to sell his dying cattle station, Faraway Downs and return home. There, she was guided by independent cattle drover, simply known as "Drover" (yummeh Hugh Jackman) to Darwin and transport her to Faraway Downs. Shortly after her arrival, she finds her husband murdered by an aboriginal elder but of course, that was far from the truth. As she slowly uncovers the truth, she came to care for a young mixed Aboriginal
and somewhat whimsical child called Nullah (Brandon Walter) and developed a relationship with Drover as they prove that Love truly is a powerful weapon in a time filled with hatred, war and prejudice.

To tell you the truth, I'm not a huge sucker for romance films (yes even if it includes the yummy Hugh Jackman), so I was surprised that I even sat through the first half of the film let alone enjoy one so much. To see Ashley and Drover's dedication for the love of their family and for a child that's not even blood related in such trying times is something that even someone with a heart of stone like mine can take. Tears were falling from my face non-stop when the credits rolled.

I may not know much about romance but I do know a thing or two about love. Love for people that share no blood relation, of different backgrounds, beliefs, ways of life... yes, despite all of this, we call them family. Watching this movie reminds me of all the people that have made my humble life all the more richer and it made me thank my lucky stars at how I've manage to grasp them. This truly is a Love Story. :D

To those who haven't watch this movie because of other's reviews of it, I advice you to judge it for yourself. I regretted listening to those who told me that this movie wasn't worth watching. Judge it for yourself and who knows, you might learn a thing or two from it. You have my personal recommendation.

Goodnight everyone. To those I love, goodnight and sweet dreams.

2 comments: