Tuesday, October 12, 2010

P.S... I Love You : Part 3

Read Part 1 & Part 2 first?



Situation #3 : Sacrifices

For the final part of this post, I'd like to share about a fictional relationship. Yes, a relationship of two fictional characters portrayed above by the multi talented illustrator, Runia on Pixiv. Meet one of the Canon pairings of Persona 3, Aragaki Shinjiro and the Female Protagonist (known famously as Hamuko or Minako). I thought they are the perfect example for me to use to portray the importance of Sacrifice in a relationship.

The two are one of the better preferred pairings by many fans compared to the other cast of available men for the Protagonist. In the game, when you play as the female protagonist, you may choose 1 out of 3 men at the end of the game and majority of fans prefer this coupling right here. Initially I was surprised as well, but when I decided to experience the game myself, I understood why.

[SPOILER ALERT]

Aragaki Shinjiro had the least amount of time to spend with the Protagonist (one month to be exact) compared to the rest but it seems that his bond was the deepest. He was portrayed as a street thug initially, often gruffy and fouled mouthed, he uses these attributes to push away others as a fear of hurting them. He left the S.E.E.S group when an accident occured with his Persona, causing him to accidentally kill a by stander. this bystander later revealed to be a member of S.E.E.S' family member. That member is Ken Amada.

Blaming the accident purely on himself, he left S.E.E.S and wandered on the streets for a few years until he was forced back in by his childhood friend and ex-S.E.E.S comrade revealed that Ken Amada voluntarily joined S.E.E.S. Though this did little to his scary demeanor and attitude to life.

He started out being cold to the Protagonist but as she gets to know him more, she shows different sides of him and even come to slowly but surely rely on the Protagonist for emotional support and comfort. She helped him regain his ability to interact with his comrades and this influence his look about his own life as well. The once ready to throw his life away Shinjiro was now looking for ways to stay by her side longer. But things didn't go exactly as planned when he was shot twice when protecting Amada.

He ended up comatose up till the end of the game where he regain consciousness and his memories of the Protagonist. But he was far too late in reaching her when he dashes to her side at the school rooftop, only to know that she will compensate saving the world with her own life. As they exchanged their final words, her tiny life slips away from the her body that was in his arms.

[/SPOILER END]

You see, the main difference I spotted with Shinjiro compared to the other male choices wasn't that he had better lines or he was better looking (in fact, he may well be at the bottom for looking presentable), it was that during his brief relationship with the Protagonist, it was he who strived the hardest at leaving his comfort zone for her. He cooked for everyone even though he found it annoying, he was concerned on her well being more than his when he thought he was dying. These are all signs of commitment. He did these things not because he enjoyed it, but he did it because he wanted her to be happy.

Whilst yes, the Protagonist may have given up the most important thing to save the world but it's the why that's important. She did it to save the world that he was in. She did it for him.

They both understood very well the meaning of Sacrifice and in turn that made them understand what Love truly is. That and nothing else made them one of the strongest couple I've ever seen on any fictional material I've stumbled upon thus far.

Sacrifice in a relationship doesn't have to be dramatic all the time in real life. You don't have to end up with 2 bullets in your chest to proof your commitment. It's in sacrificing the things that you love the most for the right things that proves whether you are truly committed of not.

Things I've learned from this Couple:

1. Love is never a feeling. It's a commitment.

2. Always focus on the 'Why' instead of the 'Who'. Often times people fight because they think assigning the place to blame will make the problem go away; it doesn't. Focusing on the person's intentions also tend to make you see things in a different perspective.

-----------------------------------------------------------

These are my views on Love. The pointers that I've shared here today are not only derived from my own observation but also by the many books that I've read regarding this matter so do know that the things that are said here are not mine alone, but by many who have spent years of their lives in attaining them and I hope you have found them to be of your benefit.

These are merely penny for thoughts for you to ponder by the next time you come across topics concerning today's topic. Am I in love or is this infatuation? Am I committing enough to say that I love this person? Am I putting the other party first before myself? Am I doing enough to say that I'm improving myself? Am I stepping out of my comfort zone and etc.

So my only advice with these last 3 posts is that; the next time you're open your mouth and you are about to nonchalantly use those 3 words however you deem fit, I hope you'll remember what you read here and rethink your actions. Because sometimes, words don't physically hurt you but they stay with you. They can make or break a person, like explained in the 1st Couple's situation. People may not remember what you say or what you do to them, but they will never forget how you made them feel. Words are powerful indeed so use them wisely.

Last but not least, thank you for reading one of my longest posts till date. :D I hope you have learned a thing or two, as much as I have during my observation periods.

Until my next post, I love you all. :3 I bid you all a goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment